Monday, May 9, 2011

Lots of Distractions

I've been away for too long suffering from lots of distractions. After 2.5 years working in a cubicle I traded up to an office...for a temporary Director position. I'm hopeful that it will become permanent, but one never knows. I entered the aforementioned cubicle knowing full well it already had a glass cieling upon it and the only way up was if one of the four people above me would choose to move on or retire. I thought I could wait this process out. I could not.

Now I'm on a very short term contract with a local institution of higher eductaion as a Director of a small department. There are so many things to do on the to do list that I'm working like crazy whenever I'm not asleep. I want to get things done and work hard to impress them so that I get to stick around long term and get the full time permanent position.

Looming is our family trip to Yellowstone the last week of June. My previous good planning pace has faltered. I have not advanced the plans for two months now. We have our West Yellowstone reservations and Park exploration plan in pretty good shape. What I'm woefully lacking on now is the two full days of travel each way. What can we do to get out of the rig to stretch our legs? What water can we pass that I can make a few casts and find some eager yet dumb MT/ID/WA trout? I know we will do our share of geocache searching along the route and back. I want to cast a line whenever possible too.

This trip is going to happen, even if I'm on unpaid vacation. That sucks, but not going would be more suckage than I can deal with because the girls are so hyped up for the trip. Speaking of the girls and trips. We are planning a trip to the Yakima as a family in late July. The girls and the Mrs are headed to New England for nearly three weeks in August. Guess who gets to stay home and keep the work schedule running as routine? I'm not bitter...well, maybe slightly, but I need to work more than I need to take this amount of time off.

The only fishing I've done lately has been to row a Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing outing where Matt and Dave worked their asses off for no fish on a beautiful day. The fish did not realize that this may have been my last outing with Matt as he's headed home to Upstate NY in the near future. I'll see Dave and fish with him again soon, I hope. Other than that, a couple of quick trips to the local lake of choice to bother the stockers. It works to clear the mind, so I'm thankful for the opportunity and therapy.

Hopefully it all works out well. I could find myself out of a job soon and that would really suck. That could put the Yellowstone trip out of reach because gas alone would break us. Lots of distractions...I'm trying to keep the important things in focus. Those are the girls and the Yellowstone trip and busting my ass to get this gig long term. Everything else will come in due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment