Sunday, January 2, 2011

Another Snowy Adventure

Sometimes it takes forever to get the kids up and out of the house. Today I was dragging a bit, just tired and cold. Finally pulled the fishing gear out of the rig from yesterday's failed attempt at New Year's Day fishing. Loaded the backpack, snowshoes, sleds and outerwear for all and I was ready to roll. The girls took about another hour before they were ready.

We arrived at the entrance station of Hurricane Ridge to find a line of about 40 cars. Upper parking lot is full said the friendly ranger. We are letting one up for each one down. The girls watched "Madagascar 2" while we waited. About 40 minutes later, close to 2:30pm, it was our turn.

The road was slick in spots, well sanded in spots and pretty wet in others. I knew the ride down would be slick after the sun dropped below the mountain tops.

The girls suggested we sled first this time, I agreed but wondered if I'm carrying four sets of snowshoes and my backpack for nothing. I was. We got in two full hours of non stop sledding action, each girl slowly getting more brave with each run. Higher and higher they went to start. Tougher routes, bumps and tracks they took. Even Jill and I took a turn or two riding with the girls, but the fun was mostly them sliding and us watching.

The ride down was slick as expected, got a bit fishy in the spots I expected and I was having fun with it. I could tell Jill was not so I slowed down a bit and tried to keep out of hot water.

Back to school tomorrow for them, work for me and Jill will have the house to herself for a bit of the day. I wonder how all of us will do our first day back to our normal routines. We are already contemplating what we might do next weekend...after tryouts with Rising Stars of the Kitsap Children's Musical Theater, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment